National Geographic Channel’s Cesar Millan aka The Dog Whisperer, has issued what he considers to be the seven most important dog training tips for owners of new dogs.
Millan believes in order to prevent problems down the road, it’s important that owners establish routine and boundaries early on. Enjoy these Dog Whisperer dog training tips courtesy of Cesar Millan and National Geographic…
1. Create a schedule that includes a daily walk in the morning. This is
critical for your dog’s health, both physical and mental. If you have a
puppy, talk to your veterinarian about the risk of long-term bone
development problems, parvovirus, and other health issues before
implementing an exercise routine.
2. Set aside time every day to provide mental exercise by maintaining
rules, boundaries, and limitations. When these needs are met, the
affection you give to your dog will be channeled as a reward.
3. Always walk out the door ahead of your dog when leaving the house. This
will show your dog who is in the leadership role.
4. On walks, make sure that your dog is not in front of you, pulling you
down the street. Instead, keep your dog to your side or behind you.
This will also demonstrate to your dog that you are the alpha figure.
5. Give your dog something to do before you share food, water, toys, or
affection. This way the dog earns his treat. For example, have her
perform the Sit or Down command.
6. At bedtime, if your puppy tries to leave her bed, begins to whine, or
tries to use chewing as a way to cope with the anxiety of being alone,
give her gentle but firm corrections. The puppy’s mother set very
strict rules for behavior, so she should need very little correction in
order to get the point.
7. Create a budget for unexpected circumstances, like medical bills and
training classes. A healthy, well-trained dog makes a wonderful pet.